Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

02.11.13


Bad News:

This afternoon I noticed that the IV in Hannah's hand was pulled out enough to see a bit of the white piece that should be in her hand. It was not working quite right, and a bit of her fluids had swelled into her hand. So, we got a new IV in one of her feet. 

This evening, I also noticed that the IV in her arm was swollen above the gauze wrap. The nurse called up the IV team and while they were checking it, blood started to leak from the insertion sight. Because Hannah can now take food through the G-tube, we were able to pull that IV and not replace it. However, this IV was used for nutrition- lipids and TPN. This kind of nutrition is generally put through a PICC line, not an IV for an extended amount of time because it can be hard on veins. If leaked into musculature, it can deteriorate muscle. Because there is a chance that Hannah's vein leaked inside her arm, she has to have an antibiotic injected under her skin in a circle formation around the area where it might have leaked into her muscle. The antibiotic will draw out anything that leaked. 


Good News: 

Hannah is much happier. Almost. She has started a very low flow of pedialyte and was just switched to formula for overnight. It will continue to be a slow process, it's important not to overwhelm her sleepy bowels. We are though, headed in the right direction. 

More Good News:

As long as the IV in her foot holds up, it should be the last one she'll need. We still have a few blood draws ahead, but no more IV insertions! We went from 6am to 8pm without morphine, and we are sticking with tylenol and motrin when needed:) 

Even More Good News: 

We are one day closer to coming home!

The Best News:

Psalm 23:1-4:  The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the strength of my salvation, and my stronghold.

No comments:

Post a Comment